Saturday 3 February 2007

The ups and downs of ministry

I've discovered over the years I've been an corps officer that often good things happening seems to alert the Devil to bring about bad things or at least major distractions. Here's an example - on the day one of our new attenders came to the Mercy Seat, the Sunday School leader told me she wouldn't be leading Sunday School anymore and might well be transfering to another corps. Now those 2 events aren't linked by anything other than the same day. The Sunday School leader has given great service and certainly deserves a break. But on a day when I ought to be celebrating God's moving I'm thinking about who can do Sunday School. Major distraction - still is, weeks later.

During this week I've been trying to get our airconditioning unit fixed. The estimated cost is $6000, which equates to $3000 more than we've got. That certainly is a distraction! Particularly with days of 38 C predicted. So I should have been waiting for the good thing to happen. When it did I was caught totally unaware. One of the young women in the corps told both Jennifer and I that she wanted to become a soldier. Now that's a major distraction from worrying about airconditioners and money. She also wants to work in Sunday School. I may end up forgetting myself and shout Hallelujah!

Our God is good!

I've discovered that the good things always far outweigh the bad, but the bad takes more time to forget. The Devil is a wily enemy, but God is stronger than His foes.

No comments: