Saturday 28 April 2007

Sacrificial giving or is that living

I've been thinking about the concept of sacrifice lately. I guess that's not so surprising when you think that we've had the Self Denial Appeal, Easter, Anzac Day and a Planned Giving Program all within a month.

I've preached on Sacrificial giving and the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus for our salvation. I participated in a local Anzac Day service where we reflected on the sacrifice of young Australians that has seen then unborn generations living in freedom in this great country.

Emotion flows readily from me at most times, but I find it hard to hold in when I think of the sacrifices that people make for me and even more for the Kingdom of God. Many of the people of the corps have pledged sacrificially so that the mission of their corps might be enhanced. By doing so they are investing in the Kingdom of God.

I think of my parents and others who made sacrifices for me to be educated and in my parents' case the daily sacrifice they make by having their only child and only grandchildren living over 700 kilometres away. Family occasions see empty chairs for them. But we have been released to serve where God requires.

Then there is the verse from Romans 12 which reminds me of my responsibility for daily sacrificial living. "Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship." (NIV)

What about living sacrificially for the Kingdom of God?

No comments: