Monday 8 January 2007

Preaching and living

Here's some powerful words from today's reading.
15 "Be wary of false preachers who smile a lot, dripping with practiced sincerity. Chances are they are out to rip you off some way or other. Don't be impressed with charisma; look for character. 16 Who preachers are is the main thing, not what they say. A genuine leader will never exploit your emotions or your pocketbook. These diseased trees with their bad apples are going to be chopped down and burned."
Matt 7:15-16 (MSG)


I've discovered over my years as an officer and a preacher that who I am is much more important than what I say. The most important person for me to work at changing is me.
I try not to judge people by first impressions as it's only when you know a person that you are able to understand who they really are.
If I'm reflecting Jesus in my living then my words will be much more effective. If I'm not reflecting Jesus, it really doesn't matter what I say, because people will know it's all a sham anyway.
As a young officer I made a major blunder during a meeting when I allowed my temper to show. It took a lot of living to win back those I lost that night. Indeed it took a fatal illness and a lot of pastoral care to change the opinions of some. Others were more forgiving and wrote the episode off as growing pains.
I need people to look for character not charisma. Just as well God does.

No comments: